Our team compiled 22 opportunities for 2022. They cover a wide range of topics, from affordability solutions to migration patterns. Here is what to expect for land development this year.
- Expect more build-for-rent (BFR) projects in emerging submarkets. We are now seeing BFR projects being developed in the earlier phases of a master plan’s lifecycle, allowing developers to generate cash earlier and seed their communities with future home buyers.
- Prepare for higher density zoning. Builders will need more creative and efficient home designs to bring total home price down while preserving a great living environment.
- As build-for-rent expands to new markets, anticipate the potential for resistance among local officials. Be prepared early to educate city officials on BFR communities, including target tenant incomes and ongoing maintenance guarantees.
- Expect stronger ties between master plans and environmental, social, governance (ESG) initiatives. Master plan developers are incorporating ESG through sustainability, an inclusive array of housing, and strong HOA or rental operations. This is helping them raise capital, achieve entitlements, and appeal to ESG conscious consumers.
- Provide more suburban walkability. Urban residents relocating to the suburbs love walkability. Expect retail and entertainment venues to follow and create Surban environments.
For more information on land development trends, please fill out this form or contact one of our team members below. You can watch all 22 Opportunities for 2022 here.